Gov. Nikki Haley, Director Susan Alford Announce “Champions For Children” Foster Care Recruitment Campaign
COLUMBIA, S.C. – Governor Nikki Haley, Director Susan Alford of the South Carolina Department of Social Services, and foster parents and child advocates from across the state today announced DSS’ “Champions for Children” foster care recruitment campaign. The campaign aims to recruit approximately 1,500 new licensed foster care families across the state in order to provide stability and well-being for children in the agency’s care.
“We are kicking off the ‘Champions for Children’ recruitment drive to find families who are willing to share their love, share their homes, and share their lives with children in need,” said Gov. Nikki Haley. “I know the love and acceptance of the people that we have in South Carolina. I saw it, and we all saw it in 2015 when we wrapped our arms around each other. We loved strangers, we took care of each other, and we made sure everyone felt safe. What we’re asking today is that you continue to show that love, but you show it to children in need by becoming a foster family.”
“We’re honored to have Governor Haley’s support and attention to our efforts of recruiting foster families,” said Director Alford. “We are committed to identifying and securing safe, caring homes for South Carolina’s children.”
In an effort to streamline the process of becoming a licensed foster family, Director Alford has implemented a number of changes at the agency and has formalized partnerships with outside groups that will reduce delays and keep prospective families from becoming frustrated with the process.
- Recently completed the hiring of additional licensing staff at the agency
- Created a Family Support Unit within the agency to help current foster parents navigate through the different processes required in caring for our children.
- Enlisted University and community partners from across the state to expand recruitment efforts
- Formalized a partnership with the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation to quickly conduct fire, life, and safety inspections in the homes of prospective foster families
- Launched a new website specifically for current and prospective foster parents: www.scfamilies.org